Wednesday 15 August 2012

A Butterfly in my World.....


"A single rose can be my garden.....
a single friend, my world." - Leo Buscaglia

I awoke to another pale wintry Monday morning, feeling chilled to the bone.  While busy with the early Monday morning chores I got a call.  My friend from Botswana was in town and wanted to meet for coffee and a piece of cake. Suddenly the day felt a little warmer! 
Rose is a special friend, even though I only met her in adulthood it feels as if I have known her all my life.  With her currently living so far away we seldom speak, but when we see each other again, it's like there has been no time apart.  When she opens her arms wide to welcome me, it feels like I am coming home.  She carries sunshine with her wherever she goes.
Rose is one of those people with the rare ability to turn absolute strangers into close friends and she makes you feel like you are the most wonderful person she knows.  She showers her praise and laughter in equal amounts over anybody who is nearby.  She looks for a reason to laugh and find anecdotes and amazing stories, slightly elaborated, in the most mundane of situations.
Butterflies and Rose are almost synonyms to me.  She happily flutters through her day, stopping here and there for a chat, a joke, a cup of tea, all the while spreading her happiness all around.  You cannot leave Rose without feeling somehow blessed.
True friendship is a rarity, few of us can say that we have found it in our lifetimes, but Rose has made me realise that it is not so much about finding true friendship as it is about being a true friend.  My wish for everyone is that they will also have a Rose in their treasure box, that one friend who think you are  "a good egg even though she knows that you are slightly cracked!" (quote by Bernard Meltzer)
If you flutter by here feel free to share a thought or two about a special friend in your life with me.

1 comment:

  1. yes, true friendship is hard to find in a selfish world, but it makes us appreciate every friendship we have, new and old ones.

    ReplyDelete