Wednesday 29 August 2012

On the Wings of Memories

Last week I surprised my daughter at her work.  I sneaked up behind her and put my hand over her eyes ( I really had to stretch to do this).  Her first reaction was to ask who this could be, followed by "it smells like my mom...".  She absolutely did not expect me, and were so surprised, yet she knew me. 
This took my thoughts back to my own mom.  Each memory of her is like an exquisite butterfly.  I remember how she always smelled like "Royal Secret" and powder.  Sometimes the aroma of vanilla would linger about her when she baked.  Even now, years after she has passed away I smell her when I open the little toiletry bag in which I put the last bits of her make-up.  I remember how she loved the garden. She planted snapdragons and nasturtiums in the rockery underneath my window and carnations in the flower box.  She drove her little green mini at daredevil speed - 80km/h on the straights and around the corners.  She was the most selfless person I knew, always putting her family above herself, even above her own illness.
She taught me to pray, to believe and by example, how to love my husband and how to teach my daughters to love their father.  She told me to rather keep quiet if I do not have anything nice to say, she taught me that it doesn't matter what others say as long as you yourself know what is the truth.
I remember her hands, strong and gentle, that could do anything.  I remember her smile, full of kindness and the sparkle in her blue blue eyes.  I sometimes hear her in my sister's laughter and I see her in my daughters' smiles, and I am so glad that I could call her "Mamma".
 I wonder what my children will remember about me one day?  Maybe my early morning joy, the way I loved to tease, my quirky sense of humour?  Whatever it is that they remember I just hope above all that they remember how I loved them like air itself.  How, I would have loved to keep them like butterflies in a jar, never letting go, but allowing them to spread their wings, because I love them so.

If you flutter by here please share with me your memories about your mother.  To comment click on the words "no comments" or "1 comment " and follow the link.  I would love to hear from you.

1 comment:

  1. There is simply nobody that can ever take the place of your mother!! They are angels put on earth for their children.

    ReplyDelete