Saturday 5 January 2013

Peace to All


We have been blessed with wonderful rain early in this new year.  As I sat outside after another rain shower, I marvelled at the peacefulness of the early evening.  An almost holy quietness have settled on everything.  I thought that this perfect and beautiful moment is exactly what humankind the world over crave.... 
Peace. 
 For centuries people have debated over peace, they have fought wars over it, beauty queens have tried to think up clever answers to it, peace treaties have been signed for it, yet it stays ever elusive. 
Peace is not something you can wish for and it will magically manifest itself, you cannot buy it and nobody can give it to you.  Peace is an internal component, it lies within the individual.  It can only be found within.  It is a mind set. 
Peace is my responsibility, it begins with me.  Before I can even begin to be at peace with others I have to be at peace with myself.  I can only share something which I have in my possession.  Talking about peace means nothing, most people have wonderful thoughts about the topic, I have to live it!!  My words and actions have to be a testimony of peace.
Inner peace starts with my thoughts.  What thoughts do I harbour?  Are they thoughts fuelled by anger, or negativity?  Are they filled with resentment or prejudice?  I have to clear my mind of such thoughts as thoughts lead most often than not to actions.  The saying "You can change the whole world, by changing your mind" is profoundly true!  I have to recondition my thoughts.  Thoughts on love, forgiveness and patience will lead to actions of the same kind.  I can maybe not give peace to the world, but I can certainly share it with my family and with everyone I encounter.  Mother Theresa has been quoted as saying " You want world peace?  Go love your family."

I share with you this prayer by Rabbi Harold Kushner - 2003
(author of 'Why bad things happen to good people')

Let the rain come and wash away
the ancient grudges, the bitter hatreds
held and nurtured over generations.
Let the rain wash away the memory
of the hurt, the neglect.
Then let the sun come out and
fill the sky with rainbows.
Let the warmth of the sun heal us
wherever we are broken.
Let it burn away the fog so that
we can see each other clearly.
So that we can see beyond labels,
beyond accents, gender or skin colour.
Let the warmth and brightness
of the sun melt our selfishness.
So that we can share the joys and
feel the sorrows of our neighbours.
And let the light of the sun
be so strong that we will see all
people as our neighbours.
Let the earth, nourished by rain,
bring forth flowers
to surround us with beauty.
And let the mountains teach our hearts
to reach upward to heaven.
Amen.


If you flutter by here, I wish you Peace for 2013.  Please feel free to share your thoughts here, just click on the words "no comment" or "1 comment" and follow the prompts.

NOTE:
The Wednesday Mixed Media Challenge is up and running again.  The challenge for January is "PEACE" to be submitted by the 30th of January 2013.
The Thursday Poetry Challenge is also on the go again.  The tile is "PEACE", to be submitted by 17 January 2013.  Visit these pages here on my blog to find out more.
Blessings,
Charri

No comments:

Post a Comment