Monday 3 September 2012

Butterfly in my Shadow


In many cultures butterflies are thought of as being the souls of people who have passed on.  To me butterflies are magical and entrancing, they represent so many things - thoughts, hope, rebirth, transformation, words, memories, etc. 
Butterflies always seem to follow me around.  Ever since I can remember I have been fascinated by them, and many people have associated butterflies with me in some sense or another.  In my thoughts I carry many butterflies with me, the butterfly memory of my mother, my father, a few dear friends.  They flutter eternally through my recollections.  Sometimes they feel so close that I am sure if I turn fast enough I will catch them where they are hiding in my shadow.
I talk about them often to my children who never knew them, I share anecdotes from their lives with my friends and try to implement what they taught me in every part of my life.  It is my way to acknowledge their existence, to ensure their footprints on this earth are never lost, I am a witness of their lives.  In fact I am pretty sure that their memory will even be passed on to my children's children.
I think this is what we owe the ones we've loved, to speak their names and tell their stories, not because they were kings or queens, anybody famous or infamous, but because they are part of our existence.  They are interwoven in the pattern of life, as inseparable from us as our own shadows.  Only in darkness is it possible to loose one's shadow. 
Everyone of them have left their footprints on our lives and souls and we are blessed for having known them, my children are blessed by learning about their grandparents from me.  We do not honour them by placing flowers on a grave, or flipping through a photo album, but every time we smile at a memory of them.

If you flutter by here please feel free to share with me a special memory of a loved one.  To comment click on the words "no comments" or "1 comment " and follow the link.  I would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment